Top ten hilarious expense claims
When it comes to claiming expenses, we all know there are grey areas. When does a meal become entertainment and not just sustenance during a business meeting? When is a hire car a bit more than it needs to be? When is dog food for a guard dog not allowed? All have their boundaries, of course, it’s just recognising where they are; though that last one did take HMRC by surprise when they realised it was for a Shih Tzu.
So, in recognition of there being some very fun pockets in the otherwise grey world of accountancy, here’s our top ten list of misguided expense claims. Some are real corkers!
- A three-piece suite – for their partner to sit on whilst they were doing their accounts;
- Vet fees for a rabbit – claimed on the grounds that stroking the rabbit relieved stress;
- Hotel room service – for candles and prosecco;
- Luxury watches as Christmas gifts for staff – for a company with no employees;
- A blow up doll from a recognised adult shop – apparently to demonstrate first-aid to the only employee;
- A kilogram of sausages per week for 50 weeks – for a builder who claimed sausages built up his strength;
- Garden shed for private use – plus the costs of the space it took up in the garden;
- Holiday flights – to the Caribbean, of course;
- Armani jeans as protective clothing – for a painter and decorator;
- Underwear – for personal use.
That’s quite a list, eh? We hope you enjoyed it; we certainly did.
Read more from this issue...
Welcome to the 1st edition of The Business Godparent
Welcome to the 1st edition of The Business Godparent. A publication that aims to provide business owners with valuable updates, useful tips, guidance on technology, and friendly support.Continue reading…
About Roger – The Business Godparent
Essendon was set up by Roger Eddowes in 2014, and he swiftly made a point of expanding the skills, knowledge, and expertise of the practice to ensure businesses are fully catered for with respect to their accounting needs.Continue reading…
Essendon Property Partners
We’d like to introduce you to a particular area of expertise we offer to investors in property.Continue reading…
Sam Poole Mum 2 Mum
Our first Red Sofa interview with
Mum 2 Mum founder Sam Poole.